PAGEVIEWS

29 January 2014

"I've heard that's really common"

Several months back, those very words were said to me by a co-worker when it came out that I had lost 2 kids. "I've heard that's really common." Girl, what?! It was all I could do not to bite back in the meanest possible way with "I heard it's common to lose your parents." But what asshole would say something so mean, thoughtless, and absurd? What point would it serve to slap her in the face with words over the loss of her mother whom she loved so dearly?  But what makes child loss, especially miscarriage, any different? Yes, my children weren't even born, they were tiny, they were developing, I didn't even meet them. But they were MY kids. They lived in my body and in the few weeks I knew about them, my brain had already played out millions of moments of their lives and not one of those moments included their death and me not getting to meet them in this life. So why do we act like it's ok to disregard them with statements like that one? Yeah, it's common to lose a child. Lots of things are common, it doesn't make them any less terrible and knowing that it's common doesn't do anything whatsoever to make it easier. Cancer is common. Having parents pass away is common.  Having your identity stolen is common. But our reactions to those events are much different. I cannot fathom ANYONE saying "yeah that's common" when someone they know is diagnosed with cancer or some other terrible disease. No one would say such a thing with a straight face and expect that to be somehow comforting. My kids DIED. Knowing it's not uncommon does NOTHING to ease that. At this very moment, HALF of my children are not here with me and I have missed 1 and almost 3 years so far with them. A million moments, stolen away.I'm glad I'm not alone in that but knowing it's happened to other people really only makes me more sad. Other people have had to go through this shit! Friends, relatives, women I love dearly! I wouldn't wish this on anyone. So please remember that while it's common to miscarry a child, it's also a very terrible thing and the only words appropriate to utter are, "I'm sorry for your loss(es)" or some other similar but sensitive phrase. I know the topic is uncomfortable, but living on earth with kids in heaven is uncomfortable, too.





2 comments:

  1. I hate that too!!! They're only saying it to make themselves feel better. Like somehow if it's really common then it can't be an awful and painful experience! Lots of terrible things are common but that doesn't make them any less terrible. Sorry you had to hear that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate to everything in this post! Thanks for speaking the truth here!

    ((hugz))

    ReplyDelete